The history of funeral service in Pelican Rapids dates back into the 1890’s. The earliest business on record was the Andrew Peterson Undertaking Co. which was in operation until approximately 1921. It was at that time that Hagen Undertaking & Furniture, which began operation in the early 1900’s, purchased the Andrew Peterson firm. Hagen Undertaking continued to serve Pelican Rapids until 1927 when it was purchased by Gothard and Alma Knutson. After Gothard’s death in 1959, the funeral home remained in business until 1969 and then closed its doors.
During the early years of funeral service in Pelican Rapids, there were several other undertaking businesses that served the area. From 1918 to 1920, the Ed Skalman Undertaking Company was formed. In 1920, Guy Olson purchased the Ed Skalman Undertaking Company and renamed it Guy Olson Furniture and Undertaking. It operated until its closing in 1933.
In the fall of 1947, the Johnson Funeral Home was founded by Everett and Virgil Johnson. They purchased the Haugen house on the corner of 3rd Street and 3rd Avenue Southeast in Pelican Rapids and remodeled the home into the city’s first stand-alone funeral home. In 1969, the funeral home was renovated. A new chapel, foyer, selection room, and additional facilities were added. In August of 1970, the business was purchased by Milo D. and Marjorie M. Larson and was renamed the Johnson-Larson Funeral Home. In 1975, the funeral home name was officially changed to Larson Funeral Home.
In July of 1995, after twenty-five years in the funeral business in Pelican Rapids, Milo and Marge sold Larson Funeral Home to the Vertin family. At that time, Jade Petznick became the managing funeral director at Larson Funeral Home and continues to serve the families of Pelican Rapids and the surrounding area.